I am so excited to finally be sharing my little French styled cabinet makeover with you all today.
It’s been a long time coming.
If you follow me on Instagram…you’ve seen it. BUT it didn’t quite turn out like I had originally planned.
It was a bit of a big fat ole fail at first.
I had a vision. (that’s a scary thing sometimes…just ask my husband! ;) )
But sadly, as it goes sometimes, the vision and what I actually ended up with were two totally different things.
So back to the drawing board it was.
And this is what I ended up with.
Not a bad cabinet makeover at all.
I am actually happier with the actual outcome than I was with my original vision! Yay!
(isn’t always that way)
Want to see how this little frenchy gal started out?
It was a thrift store find…. $20. We recently put the TV over the fireplace and I had been looking for awhile, a long while, for something to house our cable box, etc.
This was a pretty good find for that, I think. Maybe not ideal or what I totally had in mind but it would work.
But it was in not-so-great shape.
The door was not even attached when I bought it. Easy to see why!
So I brought it home with the idea of painting the bottom and sanding/restaining the top.
That was going well until I sanded….
…and yes, that is particle board. Weird, huh?
Not sure what’s up with that except maybe the top was ruined at some point and replaced?
I was so bummed. There went my plans to restain.
But not one to be deterred for long I decided to stain it anyway. I wanted it ‘stained’ so it was getting stained!
And I’m pretty happy with the result.
I used Minwax PolyShades (which I thought was ideal for this situation) in the color Tudor.
It was perfect since it kind of just lays on top of the wood. I was able to disguise the fact it is particle board underneath…for the most part.
Isn’t that the coolest??
So anyway, back to my skewed “vision” for the paint.
This time I used a shade of Aubusson Blue Chalk Paint® with my blend of Old White/Pure White over top of that.
I sanded and distressed to really get the blue to come through all over. Even the sides.
Which I ended up disliking …highly.
So back to the drawing board on those….again.
I repainted the white and then added grain sack stripes instead.
And then distressed those to match the rest of the cabinet.
What a fit this little cabinet was giving me, right???
It’s ok…it all worked out in the end. :)
I reinforced the underneath of the cabinet to hold the screws for the door and painted the inside with Cream Chalk Paint®.
You can see it in “action” there. We removed the back so the equipment could get air and not overheat when the front is closed.
I used a blue watercolor pencil since I knew I’d be painting it in with the same blue I used underneath.
I hand painted it in using a script liner brush.
You can see how I already distressed the underneath a little bit already.
Then I lightly distressed a bit more, including the lettering. I really wanted to see BLUE.
I sealed the entire thing with a coat of Annie Sloan Clear Wax, including the top stained portion.
Side views of the grain sack stripes….
Up close of the lettering…
What a difference…
Played around a little with some styling as a “reading nook”….
I’m really happy with how it finally turned out.
It’s really perfect for holding that equipment without being too big or bulky beside the fireplace.
Although, I didn’t like how open it was underneath because you would see the wiring.
That was something I had not anticipated so I placed a basket there to “cover” it up.
That was a happy little accident too.
I think the basket on the bottom compliments the look and balances it out a bit.
Yay for happy accidents…which this entire project ended up being. It certainly did not end up like my original vision but that’s okay.
Sometimes the creative process is a bit long and foggy…until it becomes clear! ;)
You might also like these projects:
Follow Along Here!
You May Also Like These Posts: