Armoire Transformed Twice…Finishing Up with Chalk Paint

Sharing here! -->Pin on Pinterest1,772Share on Facebook18Share on Google+22Tweet about this on Twitter10Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pagePrint this pageEmail this to someone

I bought this armoire about 6 years ago at a consignment shop.

Annie Sloan Chalk Painted Blue Armoire

But it didn’t look like this when I bought it. Yeah…no.
And it didn’t look this way after I painted it…the first time.
Yes, I painted it twice. If you read my blog regularly you aren’t surprised, are you? (If you follow me on Instagram then you’ve already seen a snippet or two of this since I always post about things there long before they end up making it to the blog. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Here is the before, first color and the “now”…forever paint. Ha right. More like “for -now” paint.

Blue Armoire Chalk Paint / BeforeAfter

It had a natural looking wood finish that didn’t seem to have any type of poly on it when I purchased it.

I left it that way until last year when I decided I needed a statement piece in the room. And I suppose red really does make a statement.

So that’s what it got. Except red was not the right color….as I found out after I painted it. Figures…. Kind of like the laundry room cabinets I also painted red. Then as I was putting the doors back on realized ….really quickly…..that it was awful! That was a fun week. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Back down they came and I immediately repainted them. (this was last year mind you…and I’m already planning a redo and repaint in that room as well. It’s gonna be great ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

The armoire did stay red for almost a year until I decided what it needed.ย  Blue. My new favorite color apparently. Or some variation of blue.

A color that I used to not really like at all in home decorating. My home has gone from reds, maroons, golds and very warm colors to a fun, bright, cheerful eclectic coastal feel with blues, teals, corals, whites and yellows.

Fun.

I’m SO loving it and can’t wait to share my finished rooms with you all! (if you pay a bit of attention to the photos you’ll see some snippets of the changes we’ve made to this room…hint: the armoire is in the same location in all photos)

But first….this armoire’s story…..

I painted it with regular latex first go round. Distressed slightly, added some fun new funky knobs and was done.

Second go round got Annie Sloan Chalk Paintยฎ. It looks sorta like Aubusson Blue, doesn’t it?
But it’s not.
I mixed this color from 3 other colors trying to get something like this….my inspiration here:
(by the way, this is not a sponsored post… I just love Annie Sloan Chalk Paint)

Chalk Paint Inspiration

With these 3 colors:

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

All fabulous colors. All of the Annie Sloan line is really. And yes, I have quite a lot of them. But I don’t use them all, all the time. In their original form anyway. I love to mix and they really do mix well into various shades of beautiful color.

NOTE: All “before” photos were taken with my old camera….”after” photos are taken with my new “big girl” camera (that I’m still learning how to use) and are more realistic color wise. Also, this one was hard to photograph as the details (wax, color shading, etc) really pop out more in the photos than they do in real life. I painted this one before Christmas but had such a time photographing it that I waited until I purchased the new camera to post about it.

So here was the first “rendition”….of what I thought I wanted….

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Process

But, um, NO. Sometimes the creative process really is just that….a creative process.

The white top had to go. Plus I thought the paint looked a little “flat” for the look I was after.

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Mixed Colors
And even though the Dark wax I was planning to add would create some dimension, I decided it needed more color wise. So I mixed up a lighter and darker shade of the paint I had mixed to paint the base.
I then took 2 dry brushes and lightly dry brushed the 2 colors over the piece to give it some of that needed depth.

Yes….better.

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint 3 color technique

A little distressing…even better still.

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Armoire with 3 colors

Top and bottom ….with a Clear coat of wax applied.

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Base Armoire

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Up Close Color

Annie Sloan Up Close Color3

Finished up with some Clear and Dark Wax combined. I mixed a large amount of the Dark into some of the Clear. I didn’t want a “perfect” looking finish. I wanted lots of dark, dimension & depth.
I wanted it to look aged.

There are times I have used Dark all by itself but not often. It is powerful by itself and usually only a little is needed. I did use the Dark by itself on the top of my Estate Sale Sideboard in this post here.

I also added the stencil to the bottom section. I had originally planned to do it on the top too but just wasn’t feeling that.

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Blue Armoire Base

Some close ups….

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint with Dark Wax

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - Collage Blue Armoire

Close ups Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

And complete….

Annie Sloan Chalk Painted Armoire

Lots of dimension….with that wonderful aged appearance I love. Much better.

The red was nice but it was just so bold. Not that this piece is not…it’s just bold in a different way.
Be on the lookout for the post on these “shutters” you see in some of the photos next week. That was a fun one! And I just adore them….and the Duck Egg Blue I painted them.

So red, blue? What do you think? First better or last? Is anyone else as wishy-washy as me? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Nah, I love paint and to paint…and I love change, so this was not a chore to me. :)

Good thing, right?

Signature for BlogsmallSharing with: The Shabby Creek Cottage, The Shabby Nest, Liz Marie Blog, Miss Mustard Seed, Three Mango Seeds, DIY Showoff, Uncommon Designs, Thrifty Decor Chick, Home Stories AtoZ,

Comments

• Nancy says

Ha ha..yes always Kim! ๐Ÿ˜‰ But I actually did this one before Christmas. I could not get a decent picture of it with my old camera so I waited. Got a bit better picture with my new camera but still much to learn there. ๐Ÿ˜‰ And why yes, yes you do see B & B peeking through. Well sort of. It’s faux B&B that I will be posting about soon. :)

• Nancy says

Hi Sharon! Thank you so much. Haha yes the blue is suiting me more right now. You do know me friend! ๐Ÿ˜‰ And yes, I am so with you on the “it’s just paint”. My motto too…paint lover that I am! ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Ellen says

You did an amazing mix job! I am way to color scared to mix like that, afraid I will hate it & will have wasted the paint. The blue is beautiful & the stencil work only at the bottom is perfect.

Hi Ellen,
      Thanks so much! No need to be scared! It’s hard to “mess up”…especially if the “messed up” and old look is what you are going for. :) No wasted paint, it all works out in the end. Thanks for stopping by !:) xo

2. says

I love the blue, fantastic job. I love the detail and explanation you gave too. Looking forward to your other projects.
    Dido

• Nancy says

Hey Mandy! Thanks! Yes, blue is good!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I didn’t use to think so but I’m a total “blue lover” now. If you don’t have anything with this color now can you just imagine something with this color in one of your rooms? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Nice little pop of color. Yes, I am a paint enabler.

• Nancy says

Hi Jeanie :) haha…thanks so much for that! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Glad I’m not the only one…knew I couldn’t be!

• Nancy says

Hey Karen! Yes me too! I love mixing it up a bit sometimes. ๐Ÿ˜‰ And, lol, it will probably stay this way for awhile anyway.

• Nancy says

Aw thanks Kathy :) Yes, I am definitely a “mixer”. I am always stepping outside the box! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Nancy says

Thanks so much Cindy! I actually used 2 stencils to create this design. The main one (top and bottom of the design) is by “Laser Cut Quality” from Michael’s, Style #BLM-803-Damask Motif. The other (on each side) is also from Michael’s but I no longer have the packaging for that one. The stencil is blue plastic in color though. Hope that helps!

• Nancy says

Thanks Katie! :) Oh yes, so true!! Most of my pieces come together with much trial and tribulations. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Nancy says

Thank you Lynn! Yes, I do love the contrast of those colors against the new white woodwork. I’m betting it stays this way awhile too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Nancy says

Thank you Vanessa :) This shade is so lovely in person. It’s hard to capture it fully in my pictures. I had such a time trying to get it “life like”. Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Nancy says

Thank you so much Amy! Yes, come over to the “chalk paint” side. ๐Ÿ˜‰ You definitely need to try it!

3. says

Stunning, stunning, and more stunning! Love the blue! Can I ask a dumb question? {You are used to these from me by now, right? ;)} What is dry brushing? I hear people refer to it all the time, but I’m not exactly sure what it is. LOVE the effect it creates, though! Have a wonderful weekend, Miss Nancy!

~Abby =)
    Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog recently posted…Unexpected Framed ArtMy Profile

• Nancy says

Thanks friend! :) I love the blue too! Dry brushing is just that…using a dry paint brush and putting just a very light touch of paint on the bristles. Then lightly painting it onto your piece. (not using a lot of paint at all)
      Hope you are having a great weekend!

4. Susan says

Did you do any prep before you painted it with the chalk paint? I have always heard red was one of the hardest color to paint over. I just purchased an old dark red cupboard and if the color does not work out I will want to repaint it with chalk paint. What do you suggest?

Hi Susan!
      No, I didn’t do any prep work at all before the Chalk Paint. I’ve painted over red several times. This armoire was red latex and this other one was Primer Red Chalk Paint (sideboard here–>http://www.artsychicksrule.com/2013/04/estate-sale-sideboard-chalk-paint-graphics.html). I didn’t have a problem with coverage from either one with either color. I think you will be fine if you want to repaint it!

5. says

What a transformation, looks lovely! I want to paint something similar but Annie Sloan paint isn’t cheap and easy to come by in Australia, how much paint did you use for 2 coats?

Thanks!
      Gosh I don’t remember but it wasn’t much. The AS paint really does go a long way. You could create this look with a latex or milk paint though!

Nancy

6. says

It is beautiful! I love your positive attitude. Whenever I have to re-do projects, I often want to throw it away or rip it apart. Your patience is wonderful.

OH thank you Debbie!
      Well, I’d probably throw away a lot then! I will be the first to admit that I have done my fair share of re-dos of first time fails!
      I think maybe I’m just stubborn. ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Nancy

7. Marybeth says

Came across this on pinterest, and I have the same exact armoire! I have been hesitant to paint it, but this post has given me some serious motivation! Thanks!

Hi Marybeth!
      Oh yes, do! I think you will love it painted. Mine sat unpainted for years….what a difference! :)
      Nancy

8. Joan says

Hi, I’m just in the middle of painting a very cheapo armoire. I’ve finished painting it a pale blue with paint left over from the room. So I came online looking for my next step and found your site. I already have a similar stencil which I had bought and never used, so your project is just perfect timing for me. My question-what kind of wax do you use to give it that depth? Brand and color please. Thanks so much. Joan

Hi Joan,

The wax I used was Annie Sloan’s clear and dark waxes. It is not really what gave this particular piece the depth however. It was the 3 paint technique that I did (mostly, the dark wax added a bit). I used several shades of the same color (lightened and darkened) and applied all three to give the piece dimension.
      Hope that helps! :)
      Nancy

9. Joan says

Thanks, Nancy. I was hoping I could get away with just wax, but in my heart I knew more painting was the answer.
    Oh, well, back to work. Joan

jossandmain.com online furniture