Hey! It’s time for another “themed furniture makeover” today.
We haven’t done one since November. Are y’all ready to see some really beautiful furniture??
If you haven’t been around and don’t know what the heck I’m talking about I’ll clue you in.
Every month, some of my blogger friends and I get together and make over furniture finds with a theme in mind.
You can see all of the themes and makeovers right here… Themed Furniture Makeovers.
It’s so much fun and really makes you think “outside of the box”.
For example, this month’s theme is “Inspired By”.
I have to be honest….it took me awhile to get inspired.
But it finally hit me…..last Friday! Not much time to create but I got it done. :)
I like working under pressure…apparently.
Here’s what I came up with….this “Pretty in Pink” Parisian makeover which started like this….
Take a look at that wood. They don’t even match.
Aren’t they supposed to match?
Anyway, I’m going to paint them so it doesn’t matter, it’s just curious to me.
Here’s how they ended up….
And here was my inspiration….
It’s been pinned to my “Favorite Furniture” board for a very long time. (see it on Pinterest here)
I came across it when I was looking for my “inspiration” and decided that was it.
I had two nightstands in storage that I thought would be perfect for it.
The inspiration piece has wallpaper. I wasn’t so sure I’d find a wallpaper I loved in time but I figured I could find a fabric instead.
My husband and I were out running errands on Saturday and stopped by Hancock Fabrics to take a look in their $5 a yard bin.
I’m a thrifty girl, I always look there first!
I found a few “maybes” and then my husband said “what about this one?” as he pointed to the large roll behind him. (this Parisian fabric)
I said…”oh YES!! I love it”. He said “I thought you would”.
He’s so smart…..except it’s the pricey stuff.
But lucky us, it was on sale, %50 off. Yay!
I love pink and green…I love pink and black….and I love French inspired things.
So I was really liking where this project was headed already.
OH! I also found the most beautiful, embroidered looking fabric for an antique chair seat I’ll be re-doing soon. (in the $5 a yard bin! score!)
That’s it on the left….isn’t it pretty?
Okay, on with the makeover.
I have found some interesting things inside old dressers, nightstands, etc.
But not money yet! ;)
Once the drawers were removed from these nightstands I found all of this inside…..
Probably nothing too important but just a reminder folks….pull those drawers out and check to be sure you didn’t leave anything behind before you donate! ;)
The tops were in bad shape….
I was in a hurry to get these going and by the time I started it was Sunday night.
I quickly realized those tops would need some sanding. (and I wasn’t going out in the cold to do it)
So I painted everything BUT the tops…. ( I did have a few minor repairs elsewhere but those were easily fixed and lightly sanded)
I figured I’d sand with my power sander the next day and then finish painting the tops.
But I kind of liked them like that.
Well, not the yucky stained wood but just different than the rest.
So after I sanded I decided to paint the tops black.
I used “Lamp Black” Milk Paint by General Finishes.
The “pink” is a blend of Scandinavian Pink by Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I have no idea what I put in it at this point.
It was just a leftover batch I had and it happened to match my fabric perfectly.
I love when that happens!
I applied 2 coats of both paints.
Then I measured and cut the fabric for the drawer fronts.
Let me just say that I am not an expert on this technique.
AND it’s not my favorite thing to do, I have found. ;) My friend Christy over at Confessions of a Serial Do It Yourselfer has done quite a few though.
Her tutorials might be a better example than mine.
But follow along and I’ll show you how I did this.
I ended up cutting my sections a tiny bit larger than my drawer fronts.
I had the idea that I would apply poly to them and then sand away the excess.
I did it this way so I’d end up with perfect edges all the way around. I used Mod Podge to attach the fabric.
I also kept the design in mind when I applied the fabric to the drawer fronts. (so the pattern would line up correctly on the drawers)
It actually worked pretty well but it wasn’t fun.
You can see in the above photo how I’ve sanded away the bottom side of the fabric on the drawer.
I applied, and let dry completely, two coats of Varathane Finish before I did this.
Then took rough sandpaper and carefully rubbed the edge until the excess fabric came away.
Any straggles left behind were clipped with scissors.
I applied one last coat of poly for protection.
Then I taped it up and painted the drawers.
And I painted the insides green to (sort of) match the green in the material.
I struggled to match the green in the fabric but it just wasn’t meant to be.
I mixed and mixed and got it as close as I could.
I wanted to tie in that green and get a fun pop of color when the drawers were opened.
I decided to reuse the knobs that came on the stands…
I actually thought the design was perfect, they were just the wrong color.
The fabric is slightly off white and the knobs were bright white. Plus I didn’t love the metal color.
I scuffed them up, even the ceramic centers, and sprayed them GOLD.
I like the gold. I think it’s the perfect finishing touch.
I sealed all of the paint with Annie Sloan Clear Wax.
This was a pretty labor intensive makeover but I am very happy with how it turned out.
And thankfully my sweet husband brought me flowers the other day, “just because”, and I used them in the shoot.
I think they look so pretty in pink nightstands. :)
PIN this “Pretty in Pink” for later!
I really love how this “theme” made me think outside of the box.
Otherwise, I would have never created these fun and funky “Pretty in Pink” nightstands.
Don’t forget to take a look at my friends’ amazing makeovers below.
Have a great weekend, friends! See you next week!