Coffee table turned DIY tufted ottoman.
Search that on Google and see how many hits you come up with. A lot.
And here’s another to add to the long list. ;)
Except I’m not going to bore you with a full on tutorial since there are plenty of those out there already.
Let’s start at the beginning ….with this…
It came from the thrift store and was pretty beat up but had really gorgeous woodwork detail.
I had been looking for an old table to turn into an ottoman and this one was perfect!
It had glass in it but I’d already removed it and the framework underneath when I took this photo. (you can see some of the old framework in the photo)
With all that gorgeous detail I decided not to wrap it around the whole top and instead created an “ottoman” that fits right inside the square.
My husband took the legs off and started by creating a sturdy frame for it with his Kreg jig.
He’s pretty handy like that..and that’s a fabulous tool, the Kreg Jig.
I stick to the painting and he sticks to the measuring, sawing and MATH. ;)
Not that this required math. I just don’t do that. Ever.
Well, unless he’s not here, then I will reluctantly tackle it.
But never sawing. That’s wimpy, I know, but it is what it is.
I do hammer, nail, screw and staple quite a bit. I just don’t saw…and have no desire to!
Kind of like sewing, no desire–I’ll stick to painting and creating–the fun stuff ;)
Nice and sturdy base….
Then we put a top piece on for support.
Which just happens to also be the panel that came out of the back of this “Baker’s Hutch” I created awhile back.
(I’m a big fan of saving and reusing anything and everything!)
For the paint, I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in a mix of Old White/Pure White.
Heavy on the Pure White. (sealed with Annie Sloan Clear Wax)
Take a look at that fabulous detail once distressed.
It just pops right out at ya! Totally lost before, in my opinion.
Creating the buttons for the top……
Eh. Not my kind of project. I’m a bit impatient to sit and cut circle after circle.
But I survived it. :)
Next we created the pattern for the top/button placement.
(on another piece of board that the ottoman will be made on top of)
I used spray adhesive to attach the foam to the board, cut holes for the buttons and then I started on the FUN part. heh heh
…..using that ginormous needle.
It was not fun. It hurt me many times. :(
And after all that work …I didn’t love it. No, not so much.
Real deal here.
I liked it but it was plain and not as “tufty” as I’d have liked.
But no worries, I have a plan!! Well, it’s not my plan because I didn’t come up with it but I’m going to implement it.
Tell you about it in just a bit.
You’re on the edge of your seat, I can tell. ;)
But first…on with the process of sewing buttons on. (Hint: I won’t be doing that again)
Fabric all laid out and first button going in! Yay! Only 12 more to go.
By the way, there is also batting on top of the foam under the fabric.
So there you have it. All finished! Just… like…that.
Um, yeah, not so much.
It was pretty time intensive and I might have said a bad word or two. (remember that needle?)
But it was very do-able….and saved me a ton of money.
DIY tufted ottoman….even though it’s not very “tufty”, I know.
But it looks pretty nice all styled up a bit, even so.
We use it as an ottoman (feet and all!) and a coffee table. Love that!!
Did I mention that the “fabric” is actually a drop cloth from Lowe’s. $6.99, I think it was.
Look, drop cloth under….drop cloth over.
Not the same one obviously. ;)
That top one’s had some real drop cloth use!
You can see this ottoman “in action” in my Holiday Home Tour …here.
The little box on top is also a thrift store find. I painted and added the graphic with a water slide decal.
It’s perfect for all those controllers…. that no one ever uses. ;)
You can read about that project here.
The metal tray was painted with Scandinavian Pink Chalk Paint® because I end up painting everything with it. Don’t believe?
Check out this post here… Chalk Paint-It’s Not Just For Furniture.
So obviously this tufted ottoman has been completed for awhile (it was shown in my Holiday Home Tour) but I’ve hesitated to post about it.
Why? Mainly because I don’t love it.
Well that’s not completely true, I do love the wood base and have truly enjoyed it as an ottoman.
But I’m not loving the dropcloth or the tufting. I want them deeper, better, stronger and “tuftier”.
And I want fun, colorful, pretty patterned fabric.
But like I said, I have a plan. (my husband is always super excited to hear those words… ha!)
My plan is….new fabric (which isn’t too much of a loss since this was a $6 drop cloth) and a totally new tufting technique here.
Let me tell you, that is a big ole smack in the head right there!
I have had one button “pop” since I did this project. It’s not really noticeable, but I know it, so therefore it drives me crazy!
(and yep, I used upholstery thread)
But how super smart of Kristi over at Addicted 2 Decorating to come up with such a fabulous solution.
I will most definitely be doing it that way on the re-do!
It’s a total no brainer. Except it wasn’t my brain that came up with it! ;)
And no more needle!!!! Hallelujah to that.
So, no, this project didn’t turn out exactly as I’d imagined.
BUT it was still a “win” in my book.
I did get a sense of accomplishment from doing it myself AND I know I am going to be totally in love with it once it’s redone.
I’ll be sure to post photos once it’s finished…which I hope is very soon!!
Now to find the perfect fabric…which has continued to elude me so far. ;)
UPDATE: Click here to see how I’ve since changed this piece. It no longer has the tufted top.
I removed it and created a weathered wood finish top out of old flooring.
I’m including a few affiliate links for tufted topped coffee tables. See my disclosure here.
Follow Along Here!
Related affiliate links you may like: