Old Thrift Store Coffee Table Transformed with Chalk Paint & PolyShades

Sharing here! -->Pin on Pinterest41,082Share on Facebook0Share on Google+12Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pagePrint this pageEmail this to someone

Picked up this little beauty at the thrift store for $5 dollars.

Transformation with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint & Minwax PolyShades- artsychicksrule.com #polyshades #chalkpaint

Great deal, right???
Well, here is what it looked like before a little Minwax Polyshades & Chalk Paint…..
Old Thrift Store Coffee Table Transformed with Chalk Paint & PolyShades- artsychicksrule.com #polyshades #chalkpaint
I used the two colors “Espresso” & “Antique Walnut” in the Minwax PolyShades.
I’d say about 3/4 of the Walnut to 1/4 of the Espresso for some depth.

1. I lightly sanded the top just enough to take the shine off.
  2. I put several coats over the top, letting them dry in between.
  3. I lightly sanded, with a very fine grit sandpaper, in between the final coat.

It ended up a very lovely shade and with just the right amount of “age”.
This worked perfectly because I didn’t want it to look brand new. I wanted it to look aged.
I love the character of an old piece. And now this looks like one….in a good way!
For the base I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.
I distressed the edges a bit and then put a coat of Minwax Polycrylic over it to seal the paint.
That’s it. Easy.
And like new. Better than new really!
Just a few simple products….and there you have it…..
Thrift Store Table Transformed with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint & Minwax PolyShades- artsychicksrule.com #polyshades #chalkpaint
What a difference a little paint and poly can make.
Have you used Minwax PolyShades or Chalk Paint yet?

Do you think this is something you would try?

Signature for Blogsmall

Be sure to follow me on Instagram if you don’t already! I always post projects and things I’m working on plus lots of fun random dailies. :)

Here’s another similar post that you may like!

Working+Blog+Pics+808-21.jpg

Linking up: Skip to My Lou,My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia ,Twelve O Eight ,Homestories AtoZ ,Coastal Charm ,PJH Designs,Ginger Snap Crafts,Savvy Southern Style ,The Life of Jennifer Dawn ,The Shabby Creek Cottage ,House of Hepworths,Miss Mustard Seed  ,Liz Marie Blog,The Shabby Nest ,Funky Junk Interiors ,Tatertots & Jello ,Between Naps on the Porch,DIY Showoff

Comments

1. Martina Breslin says

Hi Nancy, I am a Chalk Paint virgin from Dublin, Ireland and have just stumbled upon your amazing site! I am totally in love with all of your work and now can’t wait to get started with my first project!! It’s a tired pine unit that has sat unloved under my TV for years. I can visualise it now looking like I have just brought it back from the French Reviera (bit optimistic maybe for my first try but sure I can dream ha ha) Martina :)

• Nancy says

Hi Martina! Thanks so much :) So glad to have you here!! I love painting furniture…and everything really. 😉 I would love to see what you do with your pine unit! Email me with photos when you finish it..really! I don’t think you are optimistic at all…you can do it!

• Martina Breslin says

I will indeed, however it turns out…already looking around the house to see what else I can attack :) Will do a little more research on how to get the result I want and best way of going about it and sure then there will be no stopping me. Nite nite (12.55am here) x

Hi Jennifer,
      I normally use a Purdy brush for pieces that I’m sanding/staining/poly-ing but for something like this I just use the little foam brush “throw aways”. So much easier! Nancy

2. Debra says

Hi Nancy, I am new to painting and refinishing old pieces of furniture usually small things like side tables and such. I love the work that you do and I have a question for you. When you apply the stain with a foam brush how do you avoid the stroke marks? Do you put a lot of the stain on at a time or just keep dipping the brush every time? I seem to have a hard time when I use a foam brush. Any advise you can share with me I would appreciate. Thank you for sharing your projects they really are beautiful.
    Best regards
    Debra

• Nancy says

Thank you Bruce! :) I agree, it’s amazing what a difference it made. I never tire of the transformations! Nancy

3. Kathy says

Did you have any discoloration on Old White when you used polyacrylic ? I have trouble using it over any light colors. Any hints?

• Nancy says

No, I really don’t. The 2 don’t touch so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I did the top first and then painted the bottom area. (the entire table was wood, not painted, when I started)

Hope that helps!!
      Nancy

4. Lou says

Love Annie Sloan chalk paint! Haven’t mixed it yet with a stain but must try after seeing your table. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Lou,
      Oh yes, I do love painted wood but mixing some wood with paint is a gorgeous look, in my opinion!!

Nancy

Hi Holly,
      No, I didn’t at all. I do make sure to clean the pieces well but no priming is needed. (in most cases)
      Oh and thank you!
      Nancy

5. Sherri says

Have you ever come across a thrift store glass top table that was scratched? I found one that I absolutely loved but the scratches kept me from getting it. To replace the glass table top (dining room size) it would have cost around $500-$700 and I just couldn’t think of how to either disguise the scratches or make them disappear. Any suggestions?

Hi Sherry,
      Gosh I don’t know! That is a crazy amount to have to spend on the glass. I think some options would be putting something different there. (unless you were set on keeping the glass) You could make a new wood top and stain to match (or even paint a color, white, black, etc) or inlay some tile, etc. Other than that, I don’t really know how to remove the scratches. Sorry!

Nancy

6. Tasha says

I thought this table looked familiar. I bought it from you at a consignment store in Yorktown. Just letting you know that I absolutely adore it. It’s my favorite piece of furniture.

• Nancy says

Tasha! OH, wow really?? That is so neat…and so very nice to hear. I have to tell you, this is one of my very most popular posts!! (and one of the most pinned on Pinterest!) People seem to just love this table. So glad you do and are enjoying it. :) Thank you for letting me know!
      xo
      Nancy

7. Elisa says

I love, love, love this piece. My husband and I just getting into repurposing furniture and old wood pieces. I am always looking for ideas.

8. Barbara says

I have a walnut table and chairs from my grandmother. I would like to do this and maybe leave the table top the lighter walnut color. What would you suggest I do with the chairs? Leave them walnut and maybe change the seat covers to something brown and white? Currently they are just a patterned brown (and I really don’t look forward to painting 6 chairs!)

Hi Barbara,
      I am with you on not wanting to paint the chairs!! My least favorite thing to paint. 😉 Although I do love the look of them painted.
      I would do exactly as you mentioned and try that first. Leave the chairs the same as the table top. Then find a lighter seat cover to bring in some of the painted bottom of the table..to the chairs.
      See how you like that for a bit before you paint all the chairs.
      (If you have a paint sprayer, painting the chairs would be a breeze though!…just a thought)
      Nancy

9. connie joyce says

I just finish a smaller table the same way, did you use annies paste on top of the minwax top? or… do I have to get a minwax product to wax the top too?
    very confused……. thanks a bunch if you have time to answer

Hi Connie,
      No I didn’t use AS Wax on the top. It is just finished with the PolyShades. The AS Chalk Paint and wax are on the bottom half only.
      You don’t have to wax over the Minwax PolyShades.
      Hope that helps! :)
      Nancy

10. Yvette says

Hi! Love this piece! Question…..I’m guessing that you mixed both colors together for the top of the table right? Or did you layer them?

11. says

Great project…I love the results! When you say that you “distressed the edges a bit” what do you mean exactly? Did you do the white chalkboard first then come back a sand down to create highlight areas? Did you wipe off areas while still wet?

• Nancy says

Thank you! Basically, for distressing, you can lightly sand over the edges with sandpaper OR you can take a damp cloth and wipe over the edges (the second will work with things like Chalk Paint and Milk Paint). And, you can come back and wipe away before it’s totally dry. All will give a different look. Your best bet is to take some sample wood and try all of them to see which you like best. :)

Nancy

12. Kathy says

Hiya Nancy! What a beautiful job on the table! I love the contrast in the colors. You inspired me to try the same combination on a dresser I have . I recently used the polycrylic on a coffee table top over AS chalk paint. There are brush strokes visible… Is there a way to minimize the brush strokes with the paint and poly??
    Happy New Year!
    Kathy

Hi Kathy!
      Thanks so much! :)
      You can lightly sand after it is dry and apply another coat. A good brush and a light hand will give you less visible strokes. For the Chalk Paint, try lightly sanding and adding a bit of water to your final coat. If it is too thick it will be more likely to get brush strokes.
      Hope that helps!!
      Nancy

13. Dora says

Good Morning! I have a question about the Minwax Polycrylic sealer you used over the chalk paint, is this product more durable than the wax that is generally used for finishing the surface? Your work is amazing! Thank you, Dora

Hi Dora,
      I wouldn’t say it was necessarily more durable (athough the Varathane poly I used on my kitchen cabinets seems to be!). It’s mostly just a matter of preference. The wax is also pretty durable once cured but does need a bit of upkeep.
      Depending on what and where the piece will be, will determine which sealant I use. :)
      I also love General Finishes High Performance Top Coat.
      Hope that helps!
      Nancy

jossandmain.com online furniture

Trackbacks

1. […] OH…and so sorry about the confusion on the GIVEAWAY the other day. Everyone who entered, is still entered.   And it will be posted again…hopefully by Wednesday! So be sure to stay tuned if you didn’t enter yet!  You’ll want to! I also have a new piece of furniture I’ll be sharing hopefully on Thursday. It’s a table I made over using Chalk Paint and PolyShades! One of my favorite combos….until then you can check out these other projects I did with that same combo. (click the photos to visit the posts)   […]