This week a few of my blogger friends and I are sharing all kinds of “patriotic” goodness.
Furniture makeovers, crafts, food, etc.
I decided to share one of my recipes with you.
Dessert —> Berry Shortcake Trifle
It’s half healthy (berries)…and half not (sugar, etc). ;)
BUT it is RED, WHITE and BLUE.
Very festive and the perfect dessert to make for a picnic, cookout, etc, for 4th of July or any patriotic themed event.
And so very easy to throw together.
You start with these ingredients:
Any brand variation will work just fine.
Make your cake in 2 round pans according to the package instructions.
(be sure to use the all egg whites option to keep it as “white” as possible for this dish-this brand called for 4 egg whites, I used 3)
Rinse your berries (strawberries and blueberries) well. De-stem and chop/slice the strawberries.
Make your white chocolate pudding according to the package instructions. Mix in 1/2 of the whipped topping (8 oz). Set aside.
(pudding before whipped topping was added)
Next, mix the remaining whipped topping with one package of cream cheese and sugar. Set aside.
Once your cake is cooked and cooled remove it from the pans and cut into small squares.
Start by layering the cake in the bottom of the trifle bowl. Then add blueberries and a layer of your cream cheese/whipped topping mixture.
Repeat the process with another layer of cake except this time add a layer of strawberries and a layer of your pudding/whipped topping mixture.
Save enough of the whipped topping mixture (preferably the pudding mix) for the very top.
I chopped the strawberries to go around the edge. You could slice them and lay them around the edge too.
Or you could leave the top completely plain.
- 16 oz Whipped Topping
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 pkg White Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix
- ¼ - ½ cup of sugar, to taste
- 1 White Cake Mix (use egg whites to keep the cake "white")
- Blueberries & Strawberries
- Make the cake according to the package instructions (use the all egg white option)
- Mix ½ of the whipped topping (8 oz) with the cream cheese and sugar. Set aside.
- Mix the pudding according to the package instructions. Mix in the other ½ of the whipped topping. Set aside.
- Wash your berries and set aside.
- After your cake has cooled cut it into small squares.
- Layer your cake, blueberries, cream cheese mix.
- Next, layer cake again, strawberries (chopped/sliced), pudding mix.
- Repeat until you've reached the top of the trifle bowl. Top with one of your whipped topping mixes (preferably the pudding mix)
- Finish off the top with blueberries and sliced or chopped strawberries to garnish.
This dessert is fabulous. It tastes very much like strawberry shortcake (but oh so much better) ;)
It’s so easy to make and makes a great presentation in the trifle bowl.
(if you love trifle and Red Velvet Cake…you can see my Red Velvet Trifle –> here!)
This trifle is perfect for a party.
I hope you will give it a try…and I hope you enjoy it if you do.
Would love to hear if you do!
Don’t forget to take a look at my friend’s patriotic posts below.
And be sure to check back, there will be new ones added every day through Thursday!
**Please visit my FOOD blog over at www.foodiechicksrule.com for more recipes!**
You may also like these recipes:
Follow Along Here!
Related affiliate links you may like: