Dated 70’s Hutch – Transformed into a Coastal Shabby Treasure {Annie Sloan Chalk Paint}

Sharing here! -->Pin on Pinterest4,774Share on Facebook0Share on Google+16Tweet about this on Twitter4Share on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pagePrint this pageEmail this to someone

I just love these old 70’s pieces.

They can so surprise you.
And they make the best “shabby”, “coastal” style furnture.

I grabbed this 2 piece hutch from a garage sale….for $35.00.
Solid, heavy, very well made.
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Blue Hutch
And of course, I painted it with the wonderful Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.
Here is a before shot. Very 70’s, dated.
Not very interesting and not something I’d really enjoy having in my home as it is here.

Blue Hutch Before Chalk Paint
I had already removed the bead board backing to paint when I took this shot.
I was painting it a different color and it’s so much easier that way!
Popped it right off and went back on just as easy.
There’s my little helper in the background…..sleeping on the job. 😉

I mixed up some Annie Sloan chalk paint and came up with this really
pretty pale blue color.
(please don’t ask what happened to the rest of this batch I had mixed up….
quite a large amount….that I had stored in a glass jar……. :( )
Yep, a large section of my garage floor is now a lovely shade of chalk paint blue. 😉

Blue Hutch During Blue Doors

And I used Old White for the rest.
As it goes with any creative process….I had thought I would paint the entire door blue.
Nope.
Didn’t like that at all.
So I went back and painted around the edges with Old White and just left the
inset of each blue.
Like so…..

Blue Hutch Chalk Paint 1

And back together…..

Blue Hutch Chalk Paint Done

Blue Hutch Chalk Paint Done 2

I loved this piece. To pieces. Really.
I almost didn’t let it go to the shop. But sadly I had no room for it.
My sweet husband said…”If it stays, something has got to come out…”
He was right, of course.
And I actually considered exchanging out my “Antique Dresser turned
Coffee Server” in this post here for this piece.
But I didn’t!
I had a hard time leaving it at the shop though. And considered going back to get it!
It’s now sold so I no longer have to stress over it.  Thank goodness!

Some up close detail….

Blue Hutch Chalk Paint Up Close

I sealed the Chalk Paint with Poly.
I sometimes do that instead of wax depending on the look and finish I’m going for.

The handles…….I just love how they turned out.
I dry brushed them and the doors with a touch of the white, before
distressing a bit, to get this look.

Blue Hutch Chalk Paint Handle

I added glass knobs to the cabinet doors….sigh…..

(the metal area of the glass knobs were silver but I also painted those parts
with the Old White chalk paint and distressed a bit)
A 70's Solid Maple Hutch.....Transformed into a Coastal Shabby Treasure with Chalk Paint / Artsy Chicks Rule
I’m sad I didn’t get to keep you pretty blue hutch.
But I’m glad I was able to bring you back to new life!
Re-stored, Re-styled and now Re-loved.

One of my favorite pieces!
I just LOVE the transformation. It’s like the best present ever….
….seeing it finished at the end.  Nothing better!

Do you have an old piece like this?
Ready to paint it and turn it into something fresh & new??

Signature for Blogsmall

Sharing with:
Thrifty Decor Chick, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Coastal Charm, Not Just a Housewife, Domestically Speaking, Shabby Creek Cottage, Miss Mustard Seed

Comments

• Nancy says

Thanks Sharon!! :) Haha yes, I don’t always comply with the “keep/take out” rule myself but unfortunately we really didn’t have the room for it. Well, at the time!! 😉 I’ve moved some things around and now it would fit. I’m actually on the quest for something similar for an idea I have. LOL (always something!)

• Nancy says

Thanks Sonya! I’m always mixing those paints. They mix so well and you can come up with just about any color you need. Yes, I always get so attached to everything I paint too. I think it is just part of that creative-ness in us. :) It only makes sense that we’d want to keep it all!

1. says

Hi! Saw this on Instagram and liked it there, but just wanted to stop by here on your blog to see mord!
    Your work is incredible and sooooo inspirational! But I’m always afraid to try something like this!
    So I watch your transformations with envy…and will someday let go of the fear and give it a try.
    Giggled at the garage floor….that’s definitely something that would happen in MY garage! Hugs, Annette (aka Petunia Pill in blog world and “From Any Angle” on IG)
    Annette recently posted…Crystals and LaceMy Profile

• Nancy says

Hey Annette! :) Aww, thanks so much for hopping over here from Instagram. And thanks so much for the sweet words. You can do it too!! Just find something small & inexpensive at the thrift store and just paint it! You can do it!! :)
      OH yes, the paint on the floor. Don’t you know I had my hands full carrying things back into the garage and of all of them I dropped…it would have to be the GLASS jar not the metal ones. Figures. lol I have a pretty, expensive painted garage floor now. 😉

• Nancy says

Haha, thanks! Yes, that would’ve been quite a haul! 😉 And thanks, yes,…I do love my little helper! She keeps me company anyway. 😉

• Nancy says

Thank you Denyse :) Yes, the Mr was right this time 😉 But I did find a new ’empty’ space that I’m all set to fill up! lol

• Nancy says

Thank you so much! Ha, yes, happens almost every time. 😉
      Thanks for the invite!! Hope you are having a great weekend!

• Nancy says

Aw thanks so much Shelly :) Yes, that was a beautiful blue…lol…too bad I lost the rest of it on the garage floor and I didn’t write down my measurements when I mixed that one. 😉 Oh well!! Plastic containers from now on. 😉
      And yes, it is hard to let some of them go for sure!!

• Nancy says

Hi Paula! Thanks! I’m so glad you like it! No I actually didn’t use any wax on this piece at all. I just used a clear poly to seal it.

• Nancy says

Thanks Emilia :) This one was a favorite! But, truthfully, I’d really love to keep them all 😉

• Nancy says

Aw thanks Ashley! :) I just picked up another hutch recently (pictured in this post here) that I’m planning on keeping! I haven’t painted it yet but it will be similar to this one but not blue. 😉

2. Blake says

Fabulous! I am painting a hutch today and would like to know what “dry brushing” means please. Also, do you have suggestions about painting small wooden knobs that I have removed from the doors. The screw is still in the knob.
    Thanks so much!

Hi Blake,
      Dry brushing is just that….taking a dry bristle paint brush and putting only a tiny bit of paint on it (wiping away excess) and lightly brushing over the wood/painted wood. The key is to keep it dry with little paint. If you have some old cardboard or styrofoam you can push the screw end of the knob down into that and paint easily. :) Nancy

3. Alyse Hort says

Hello

I love this blue you created!! It’s the shade of blue I’m after and was wondering if you could kindly tell me what colours and quantities of ASCP you used?

Alyse

Thank you Alyse!
      I’m so sorry, I painted that about 2 years ago now. I wasn’t blogging when I painted it so don’t remember what I mixed. I can tell you it was probably a little bit of Aubusson Blue and Old White. (mostly white)
      Nancy

Hi Shannon,

It’s not required with Chalk Paint to sand first or prime. I will sometimes sand and/or prime however, depending on the finish for added protection.
      On this particular piece, I did not though.
      Nancy